As businesses grow and evolve, their ability to simultaneously protect and capitalize on data is paramount to future success. Consumer, client, and partner expectations are growing. They demand security, transparency, and greater value in every interaction. The ability to rapidly derive actionable insights enables progressively smarter business decisions and improves user experiences, leading to new opportunities for consumers and clients alike.
The IBM z14 ZR1 runs at 4.5GHz processor frequency, offers up to 8 TB per machine, 40 partitions, and up to 30 cores that can be customer configured (versus 20 on z13s). z14 ZR1 also offers IBM Virtual Flash Memory (VFM), Dynamic Partition Manager (DPM), zHyperLink Express, enhanced computing for TKE and HMC, Integrated Coupling Adapter for Short Reach (ICA-SR) connectivity, Coupling Express LR for long reach coupling connectivity, and a design for pervasive encryption allowing you to encrypt many new data sets transparently.
To help businesses capitalize on new opportunities, IBM has taken the technologies introduced in the IBM z14 (z14) and reimagined them into a nimble new enterprise server, replacing prior systems such as z13s, zBC12, and z114. The z14 Model ZR1 delivers high reliability capabilities in a smaller, industry-standard frame, with a lower cost of entry, that can easily partner with other platforms in a cloud data center.
The key value propositions of the z14 Models M01 – M05 are just as relevant in the new Model ZR1, including pervasive encryption. In an increasingly intricate world of regulatory requirements and external threats, the security of client data and mission-critical workloads is paramount. The z14 Model ZR1 can be the base for a securable, yet integrated cloud, taking advantage of features such as Central Processor Assist for Cryptographic Functions (CPACF), Crypto Express 6S for FIPS-4 certified encryption key management, Trusted Key Entry (TKE) systems, or enhanced applications of Secure Service Containers that can soon include client applications. Valuable data assets on the IBM ZB. can quickly be integrated for maximum data intelligence, actionable insights, and predictive behavior for both systems of records and systems of client engagement.
Incorporating feedback from close client collaboration, the z14 Model ZR1 is designed into an industry-standard 19-inch rack form factor that is easily planned and installed into your data center. For clients familiar with prior servers, this revised footprint allows the server to be installed in significantly less space than prior offerings, using just two average data center tiles. The Model ZR1 is also based on power distribution units (PDUs), creating an opportunity to utilize common data center power drops while maintaining the redundant power, cooling, and line cords that are intrinsic to high- reliability IBM Z offerings. For clients with 32 or fewer I/O cards, there is also an option to allow a portion of the frame to house other switches, storage, or server components with a 16U Reserved space feature. This reserved space creates an option for client flexibility to create a single-frame ecosystem. With the reduced footprint cost, installability into virtually any existing data center, and flexible offerings, the Model ZR1 is a great fit for more locations than ever before.
Clients can also now take advantage of a number of features to ease application integration. Creating a hybrid cloud has never been easier, with scalability across LPARs and virtual servers, especially via Dynamic Partition Manager and Secure Service Containers. Empower your application developers – even those with no IBM Z skills – to quickly exploit the rich value in transactional data with the rapid API development and deployment that is so common in Linux environments. For clients with significant IBM Z core applications, Application Discovery and Delivery Intelligence (ADDI) assists developers in visualizing and adjusting application endpoints and handling. Those same IBM Z core application users may also significantly reduce development costs with the new Software Container Pricing for z/OS, which allows new workloads on specific addresses to be eligible for special development pricing and remain separate from production workload pricing.
With the IBM z14 Model ZR1 servers, you can rapidly develop and deliver high-quality services deployed on a trusted cloud infrastructure that is flexible, efficient, and resilient, and includes enhanced security features:
- The use of pervasive encryption for most extended-format data sets can help address compliance requirements around encryption of data on disk and tape devices. Based on experience from IBM Blockchain leadership, extended Secure Service Container applications create an option for security within a Docker and Kubernetes based container environment requiring no application changes.
- High-performance processors, large memory, and synchronous I/O to storage are designed to deliver significant performance improvements, driving faster user response times.
- Scale is designed to help you manage more workloads at less cost with increases in capacity per core and increases in single-system capacity.
- Developers and administrators, with no mainframe resources, can rapidly develop new services, as well as monitor and provision resources without the need for new specialized skills.
- Trusted insight is built into everything you do with advanced cognitive and analytics processing.
- Clients can build new cognitive and analytical applications by taking advantage of data natively created on IBM Z using industry- standard tools like Apache Spark.
- Clients can help enhance the productivity of data scientists and improve time to value of machine learning (ML). Deploying ML on IBM Z gains the benefits of data gravity, high security, and IBM Z resiliency.
- Integrated IBM Z data sources allow clients to capture new business value by leveraging insights from dark transactional data in their systems of insight.
The z14 Model ZR1 delivers high-reliability capabilities in an industry-standard footprint, with a low cost of enterprise-class entry. The Model ZR1 can easily partner with other platforms in a cloud data center, while supporting pervasive encryption technologies and speed and performance improvements over prior generations. The z14 Model ZR1 servers provide the perfect platform to drive business opportunities for the next generation of industry leaders.