The IBM z13s (z13s) is machine type 2965. With improved processor performance, increased capacity, new hybrid computing capabilities, and significant power, space, and cooling benefits, the z13s is a perfect fit for infrastructure simplification and cloud computing. The z13s is a single frame system with a 4.3 GHz processor frequency and increased cache sizes.
The IBM z13s is designed to help transform business and tackle tough real-time business challenges. It provides impressive scale in terms of memory, I/O, and processing power in a single frame that can quickly respond to dynamic changes in business growth or fluctuations. The z13s also helps you meet your service level agreements by allowing you to deliver real-time information and insight from data that can give your business the advantage of more timely business decisions. The use of IT to change how you approach your basic core business models, such as by deploying hybrid cloud, analytics, and new appliances, can help maximize revenue while improving the client experience.
The z13s expands the breadth of the IBM z Systems family by delivering a strong range of new smaller-capacity, attractively priced models with significantly more capacity than the zBC12. With up to 4 TB of memory and up to 20 configurable processor units, the z13s will advantage traditional, hybrid, and emerging marketing users. IBM z/OS supports the new processor with significant enhancements to operating system design optimized for scalability, cost savings, advanced compression capabilities, reliability, availability, and serviceability. The new multithreaded processor design benefits Linux application servers, database servers, as well as analytic and cloud workloads running in PR/SM mode under z/VM, under Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) for IBM z Systems, or Linux in LPAR, as well as in IBM Dynamic Partition Manager (DPM) mode under KVM for IBM z Systems or Linux in LPAR. Users may see performance benefits when taking advantage of large shared, virtualized memory without having to change footprint size or energy requirements. New clients may consolidate the footprint and reduce the energy envelope. Taking advantage of large memory can reduce latency and CPU cost, and thus improve operational efficiency – particularly when considering today’s analytical, mobile, and hybrid cloud deployments. Delivered with security and availability, the z13s provides enhancements to protect your users, your clients, and your business.
The IBM z13s and enhancements to the existing IBM z13.
IBM z13s securely delivers hybrid cloud and mobile capabilities along with cyber security within reach of small and mid-size companies. This extends IBM z Systems leadership with the following:
- Trusted, secure, and reliable operations for reduced business risk
- Stronger and faster protection with integrity of data across a hybrid cloud environment with the new Crypto Express5S.
- Enhanced public key support for constrained digital environments using cryptography for users of applications such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple iMessage, enhancing your cyber security.
- Ability to minimize reformatting of databases with new exploitation of Visa Format Preserving Encryption (FPE) for payment processing.
- Faster insight into the health of your Linux system with new IBM zAware pattern recognition analytics extended to Linux on z Systems for a step into the cognitive era.
- Traditional data serving and transactional processing
- Up to 20 configurable processors (1.5x more than your zBC12) and 40 LPARs (compared to 30 on your zBC12), allowing businesses to scale as needed.
- With up to 4 TB of memory, the ability to make business decisions at a faster pace and improve response times to your clients. New memory packaging and pricing open up opportunities such as in-memory data marts and in-memory analytics, giving you the necessary room to tune applications for optimal performance.
- Economies of scale with simultaneous multithreading delivering more throughput for Integrated Facility for Linux (IFL) and z Integrated Information Processor(zIIP)-eligible workloads.
- Operational efficiency
- With an enhanced “share all” virtualization environment for both cryptographic and networking features and LPARs, z13s helps businesses improve resource sharing while spending less on hardware capacity.
- New optional rack-mounted Hardware Management Console, previously unavailable on the zBC12, can help to save space where it is a premium in data centers.
- Single Instruction Multiple Data (SIMD), a vector processing model providing instruction-level parallelism, can speed workloads such as analytics and mathematical modeling.
- A design for the z13s and z13 intended to:
- Optimize internal LPAR to LPAR communications within a CPC transparently, with no changes to applications, using Shared Memory Communications – Direct Memory Access (SMC-D).
- Improve Time-To-Value with faster deployment and implementation of software solutions delivered as virtual software appliances and firmware appliances with z Appliance Container Infrastructure (zACI).
- Simplify z Systems hardware and virtual infrastructure management for KVM for IBM z Systems including integrated dynamic I/O management with IBM Dynamic Partition Manager (DPM).
- Full upgradability to z13s from IBM zEnterprise BC12 and zEnterprise 114, and full upgradability within the z13s family.
- Full upgradability to z13 from IBM zEnterprise EC12 and zEnterprise 196, and full upgradability within the z13 family.