IBM z10 EC (IBM 2097) SPECS
Get the tool it takes to power all of your mainframe server needs with our refurbished IBM z10 ECs for sale. By choosing IBM, you are going with a known and trusted brand that processes nearly 9 out of every 10 credit card transactions. It’s the kind of reliability your company can depend on when you need to analyze data or power the cloud. Find your next refurbished IBM z10 EC and start processing more.
IBM z10 EC (2097) Table of Contents
The IBM 2097 System z10 EC(TM) is a marriage of evolution and revolution, building on the inherent strengths of the System z(TM) platform, delivering new technologies and virtualization that are designed to offer improvements in price / performance for key workloads as well as enabling a new range of solutions. The z10 EC(TM) further extends the leadership of System z in key capabilities with the delivery of expanded scalability for growth and large-scale consolidation, availability to help reduce risk and improve flexibility to respond to changing business requirements, and improved security. The z10 EC is at the core of the enhanced System z platform that is designed to deliver technologies that business needs today along with a foundation to drive future business growth.
With a modular book design, the z10 EC E64 is designed to provide up to 1.7 times the total system capacity of the z9 EC Model S54 and up to three times the available memory of the z9 EC. Significant steps have been taken in the area of server availability in the z10 EC design. Preplanning requirements are minimized by delivering a fixed, reserved Hardware System Area (HSA) and new capabilities intended to allow you to seamlessly create logical partitions (LPARs), include logical subsystems, change logical processor definitions in an LPAR, and add cryptographic capabilities for an LPAR without a power-on reset.
The System z10 EC delivers:
- Improved total system capacity in a 64-way server, offering increased levels of performance and scalability to help enable new business growth.
- z10 Quad-core 4.4 GHz processor chips that can help improve the execution of CPU-intensive workloads.
- Up to 1.5 terabytes of available real memory per server for growing application needs (with up to 1 TB real memory per LPAR).
- Increased scalability with 36 available subcapacity settings.
- Just-in-time deployment of capacity resources which can improve flexibility when making temporary or permanent changes. Activation can be further simplified and automated using z/OS Capacity Provisioning (available on z/OS V1.9 with PTF and on z/OS V1.10, when available).
- Temporary capacity offering Capacity for Planned Event (CPE), a variation of Capacity Back Up (CBU) CPE can be used when capacity is unallocated, but available, and is needed for a short term event.
- A 16 GB fixed Hardware System Area (HSA) which is managed separately from customer memory. This fixed HSA is designed to improve availability by avoiding outages.
- Memory and books that are interconnected with a point-to-point symmetric multi processor (SMP) network running with an InfiniBand(R) host bus bandwidth at 6 GBps designed to deliver improved performance.
- The InfiniBand Coupling Links with a link data rate of 6 GBps, designed to provide a high speed solution and increased distance (150 meters) compared to ICB-4 (10 meters).
- The OSA-Express3 10 GbE LR with double the port density, increased throughput, and reduced latency.
- HiperSockets improvements with Multiple Write Facility for increased performance and Layer 2 support to host IP and non-IP workloads.
- Encryption accelerator provided on quad-core chip, which is designed to provide high-speed cryptography for protecting data in storage. CP Assist for Cryptographic Function (CPACF) offers more protection and security options with Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 192 and 256 and stronger hash algorithm with Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA-512 and SHA-384).
- HiperDispatch for improved efficiencies between hardware and the z/OS operating system (z/OS 1.7 and above).
- Hardware Decimal Floating Point unit on each core on the Processor Unit (PU), which can aid in decimal floating point calculations and is designed to deliver performance improvements and precision in execution.
- Large page support (1 megabyte pages).
- Up to 336 FICON Express4 channels.
- Fiber Quick Connect (FQC), a fiber harness integrated in the System z10 EC frame for a ‘quick’ connect to ESCON and FICON LX channels.
- Support for IBM Systems Director Active Energy Manager (AEM) for Linux on System z for a single view of actual energy usage across multiple heterogeneous IBM platforms within the infrastructure. AEM V3.1 is a key component of IBM’s Cool Blue(TM) portfolio within Project Big Green.
- The IBM System z9 Enterprise Class (z9 EC) and System z9 Business Class (z9 BC) servers are the last servers to support participation in the same Parallel Sysplex with IBM eServer zSeries 900 (z90), IBM eServer zSeries 800 (z800), and older System/390 Parallel Enterprise Server systems.
Any z10 EC can be upgraded to a z10 EC hardware model. Upgrade of models E12, E26, E40, and E56 to E64 is disruptive. When you upgrade to a Model E64, the first book is retained. Any z990 or z9 EC model may be upgraded to any z10 EC model. A z10 Business Class (z10 BC) may be upgraded to a z10 EC model E12.
The IBM 2097 System z10 EC(TM) is a world class enterprise server designed to meet your business needs. The System z10 EC is built on the inherent strengths of the IBM System z(TM) platform and is designed to deliver technologies and virtualization that provide improvements in price/performance for key new workloads. The System z10 EC further extends System z leadership in key capabilities with the delivery of expanded scalability for growth and large-scale consolidation, improved security and availability to reduce risk, and just-in-time capacity deployment, helping to respond to changing business requirements.
The IBM System z10 Enterprise Class – A total systems approach to deliver leadership in enterprise computing
With a total systems approach designed to deploy innovative technologies, IBM System z introduces the z10 EC, supporting z/Architecture(R), and offering the highest levels of reliability, availability, scalability, clustering, and virtualization. The z10 EC just-in-time deployment of capacity allows improved flexibility, administration, and the ability to enable changes as they happen. The expanded scalability on the z10 EC facilitates growth and large-scale consolidation. The z10 EC is designed to provide:
- Uniprocessor performance improvement up to 62% (based on LSPR mixed workload average).
- Non-uniprocessor performance improvement up to 50% (based on LSPR mixed workload average) for configurations with the same number of processors.
- Up to 1.7 times the total system capacity of the z9 EC
- Up to 64 Processor Units (PUs) compared to a maximum of 54 on the z9 EC
- Up to 3 times as much total server available memory – up to 1.5 terabytes of total memory
- Up to 50% more subcapacity choices as compared to z9 EC
- Increased host base bandwidth using InfiniBand (R) at 6 GBps
- Coupling with InfiniBand for improved distance and potential cost saving
- Performance improvements with HiperSockets Multiple Write Facility
- Improved Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 192 and 256 and stronger hash algorithms with Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA) 384 and 512
- HiperDispatch for improved efficiencies between hardware and the z/OS (R) operating system (z/OS 1.7 and above)
- Hardware Decimal Floating Point unit for improved numeric processing performance
- Reduction in the availability impact of preplanning requirements
- Fixed Hardware System Area (HSA) designed so the maximum configuration capabilities can be exploited
- Designed to reduce the number of planned Power-on-Resets
- Designed to allow dynamic add/remove of a new logical partition (LPAR) to new or existing logical channel subsystem (LCSS)
- Open Systems Adapter-Express3 (OSA-Express3) 10 Gigabit Ethernet with double the port density and improved performance
- Up to 336 FICON channels
- Large page support (1 megabyte pages)
- Energy efficiency displays on System Activity Display (SAD) screens
- Just-in-time deployment of capacity for faster activation without dependency or referral to IBM
- Store System Information (STSI) change to support billing methodologies
- Temporary offering Capacity for Planned Event (CPE) available to manage system migrations, data center moves, maintenance activities, and similar situations
- Support for the IBM Systems Director Active Energy Manager (AEM) for Linux on System z
z10 EC 4-Core Chip Details
Each PU chip is a four-core (quad-core) chip. There are five PU chips on each MCM. The five PU chips come in two versions. For models E12, E26, E40, and
E56, the processor units on the MCM in each book are implemented with a mix of three active cores and four active cores per chip (3 x 3 cores active, plus 2 x 4 cores active) resulting in 17 active cores per MCM. All MCMs in all models that we have discussed have 17 active cores. This means that Model E12 has 17, Model E26 has 34, Model E40 has 51, and Model E56 has 68 active PUs.
For the Model E64, the PUs on the MCM in the first book are implemented with 17 active cores (3 x 3 cores active, plus 2 x 4 cores active), plus three MCMs with 20 active cores (5 x 4 cores active). This means that there are 77 active PUs.
Each core on the chip runs at a cycle time of 0.227 nanoseconds (4.4 GHz). Each quad-core PU chip measures 21.97 x 21.17 mm, contains 6 km of wire, features 1188 signal and 8765 I/O connections, and has close to one billion (994 million) transistors.
Inside the IBM z10 EC 2097
IBM z10 EC 2097 MIPS Chart
|System||Platform||Model||Estimated MIPS||MSU||Active CPUs||IBM MMC||First Available|
|z10 EC||2097||401||218||27||1||$6,333.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||402||417||52||2||$6,492.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||501||471||59||1||$6,658.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||403||609||76||3||$8,276.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||601||638||80||1||$8,757.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||404||794||98||4||$10,585.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||502||899||113||2||$12,056.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||700||920||N/A||1||$6,333.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||701||920||115||1||$12,396.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||405||974||120||5||$12,833.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||406||1150||142||6||$14,569.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||602||1216||152||2||$15,537.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||503||1307||162||3||$16,555.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||407||1322||163||7||$16,543.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||408||1490||184||8||$18,552.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||409||1653||204||9||$20,509.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||504||1696||210||4||$21,234.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||702||1741||219||2||$21,840.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||603||1763||219||3||$21,937.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||410||1812||224||10||$22,146.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||411||1968||243||11||$23,953.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||505||2075||256||5||$25,496.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||412||2120||262||12||$25,589.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||604||2281||282||4||$27,892.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||506||2443||302||6||$29,673.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||703||2520||314||3||$30,631.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||605||2783||344||5||$33,639.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||507||2802||346||7||$33,649.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||508||3150||389||8||$37,640.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||704||3257||403||4||$39,022.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||606||3271||404||6||$38,983.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||509||3489||431||9||$41,198.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||607||3745||462||7||$44,292.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||510||3819||471||10||$44,730.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||705||3967||490||5||$46,598.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||511||4140||511||11||$48,177.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||608||4205||519||8||$49,159.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||512||4452||549||12||$51,587.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||706||4650||573||6||$52,287.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||609||4652||573||9||$52,271.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||610||5085||627||10||$55,641.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||707||5307||653||7||$56,561.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||611||5506||678||11||$58,173.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||612||5915||729||12||$60,281.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||708||5939||731||8||$60,683.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||709||6548||806||9||$64,307.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||710||7133||878||10||$68,120.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||711||7696||947||11||$69,663.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||712||8237||1013||12||$71,293.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||713||8758||1079||13||$72,313.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||714||9275||1142||14||$73,493.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||715||9788||1205||15||$74,825.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||716||10297||1268||16||$76,647.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||717||10803||1332||17||$78,213.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||718||11304||1394||18||$78,374.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||719||11802||1455||19||$78,461.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||720||12296||1516||20||$80,618.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||721||12787||1575||21||$81,923.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||722||13274||1635||22||$83,204.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||723||13758||1694||23||$84,321.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||724||14238||1752||24||$86,095.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||725||14715||1809||26||$86,919.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||726||15189||1870||26||$87,764.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||727||15659||1927||27||$87,935.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||728||16126||1984||28||$89,417.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||729||16590||2042||29||$89,875.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||730||17050||2097||30||$90,396.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||731||17507||2151||31||$91,794.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||732||17961||2207||32||$93,743.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||733||18412||2266||33||$95,651.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||734||18859||2318||34||$96,885.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||735||19304||2375||35||$98,273.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||736||19745||2431||36||$99,381.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||737||20183||2487||37||$101,118.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||738||20618||2539||38||$102,814.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||739||21050||2594||39||$103,769.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||740||21479||2645||40||$105,387.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||741||21903||2696||41||$105,478.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||742||22322||2749||42||$106,487.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||743||22736||2799||43||$108,224.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||744||23146||2848||44||$109,932.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||745||23551||2896||45||$111,349.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||746||23951||2944||46||$112,728.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||747||24347||2991||47||$114,074.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||748||24738||3038||48||$115,389.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||749||25125||3085||49||$116,671.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||750||25507||3130||50||$117,921.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||751||25885||3176||51||$119,139.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||752||26259||3224||52||$120,326.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||753||26628||3272||53||$121,481.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||754||26993||3316||54||$122,601.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||755||27354||3363||55||$123,694.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||756||27711||3406||56||$124,757.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||757||28062||3449||57||$125,780.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||758||28407||3487||58||$126,773.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||759||28746||3533||59||$127,727.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||760||29080||3570||60||$128,647.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||761||29408||3607||61||$129,533.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||762||29731||3644||62||$130,386.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||763||30049||3680||63||$131,205.00||Q1 2008|
|z10 EC||2097||764||30361||3716||64||$131,991.00||Q1 2008|
IBM z10 EC (IBM 2097) Maintenance
In the IBM world, engineers possessing the skills capable of the highest expertise are recognized as “top guns.” Top Gun is internationally recognized as a top performer for IBM Z maintenance and support for enterprise-critical hardware within the data center. Top Gun maintenance support for IBM Z helps you avoid problems before they happen. Our highly skilled IBM Z engineers act as an extension of your IT staff, problems are resolved quickly, improving your system availability, and productivity.
Additional IBM Mainframe Specs
THE TOP GUN DIFFERENCE.
Powered by ServiceNow, Top Gun Technology provides TPM 2.0™ maintenance services that are uniquely designed to deliver the highest quality of infrastructure support for mission critical operations.
Let’s Talk IT Hardware Solutions
Top Gun will provide customized hardware solutions designed to meet your technical and financial requirements for products manufactured by Brocade, Cisco, Dell EMC, Hitachi Vantara, HPE, IBM, Juniper and NetApp.